Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Night of Culture



I am very enthused about the recent activities at the Orange County Performing Arts Center. They are thinking outside the box, more accurately, outside the hall. First there was Peter Pan in a tent, a must-see especially if you have children. While that was going on, Project Bandaloop was doing a vertical dance on the side of Segerstrom Hall to the thrill of thousands of free attendees 100 feet below. While all of this was happening, the Emerson Quartet was doing their thing in the Samueli. That’s a night of culture. This past Monday night, thousands more showed up for a free screening of the LA Opera production of Daniel Cátan’s gorgeous opera “Il Postino.” Star Tenors Placido Domingo and Charles Castronovo were on hand to greet the crowd. I missed the production in LA. Hope to see it in Paris this summer.
I do need to get tickets for LA Opera’s Lohengrin. I have never seen it. The Ring I have seen and played, so this will be a first for me. Most everyone who is at least slightly familiar with his music, has an opinion about Wagner. This controversy has been selling tickets for a hundred years. Here is my favorite opinion on the subject from Gioacchino Rossini: “Mr. Wagner has beautiful moments but bad quarters of an hour.”
I would like to hear your opinions on the subject. Please comment.
Please enjoy some clips of Il Postino, Ben Heppner singing "In Fernem Land" from Lohengrin (concert version), and Bandaloop.


No comments:

Post a Comment