Thursday, February 24, 2011

Midori = 'Green'

Midori is, of course, the name of one of our most cherished violinists and also the Japanese word for green. In this spirit, I found a passage in her website that demonstrates that she is a “green” violinist as well. She writes:
"My violin is very sensitive to weather and dryness in the air, so I've found that hanging just-washed wet towels is a handy trick to add moisture to the air instead of running the humidifier, plus it avoids the energy use of a clothes-dryer. To save energy, I power down my computer every night, as even keeping it in “sleep” or “idle” mode wastes electricity. I have a pact with myself to turn off the lights every time I exit the dressing room in the concert halls. I hope that soon we will see a serviceable solar-powered metronome, much like the solar-powered calculator which has now become the standard."
This is an important message for all of you violinists out there who would like to be greener. Midori is a great musician, teacher and creative programmer as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment