Friday, August 13, 2010

If music be the food of love...

I have started a blog. This is my first entry. I going to write about one of the things I like to do best which is to experience new pieces of music, performers, food and wine. Discovering new musical talent is a big part of my job. The music and the food come along with the territory. I am rather obsessive about it all and I hope that you will join in.

As a young orchestra musician I was encountering a lot of new stuff. Foods and wines that I would never normally encounter were suddenly made available at post-performance receptions in some pretty amazing homes. I was playing horn with the Mostly Mozart Orchestra in New York. At my very first rehearsal, the piano soloist was amazing. I asked a colleague who he was. "Alfred Brendel" was the reply. "Never heard of him." That, however, sent me on a journey of discovery that I am still on. And I would like to share it with you. Next time, music, food and wine in Provence, Glyndebourne and London.

No comments:

Post a Comment